Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"Layer Love" Lesson #3 and a Couple Discoveries!

This is my finished lesson #3 ready to add some journaling and /or collage.



I decided to buy a sample box of Golden paints because the Windsor Newton paint I was using just wasn't looking quite right. Under the paint tubes I discovered a nice big color chart and history of the company.


I realised this color chart was a mixing guide!
It shows how to mix almost every color Golden makes!
O-MA-GAWD!
I won't need to go buy all the colors that I wanted for this workshop!
These paints are expensive pretty little buggers!



For example Julie is using Burnt Umber in the lesson and my little box didn't include Burn Umber. Sooo, I'll make Burnt Umber by mixing 4 pts Quinacridone Magenta, 8 pts Hansa Yellow Medium, and 1 pt Pthalo Green, which all came in the sample box!



My other discovery was that using a paper plate to mix my paint on was wasting the paint. The plate was too absorbent and sucked up the paint too fast. So, I mixed my paint on a plastic baggie until I can get a proper paint mixing pallet.
Oh yes...
MUCH BETTER!



Finished!




Geeze that was hard work , it pooped out Wiggles!
Have a great hair day! Becci

6 comments:

K said...

Hi Becci, maybe you shouldn't even spend money on a pallet.
I saw painters (and maybe Julie as well, at least that's what I'm suspecting from the videos) using bathroom tiles. I took a piece of the ones that remained from my kitchen and it works like a charm and since it's not plastic, it's very easy to clean it even if the paint dries.
Of course this would only work if you had a piece somewhere in the house :)

Oh, I like your lesson 3 page. It's perfect for journaling, imho.

Bye, Kitty

Anonymous said...

Bathroom tiles.. that's a good one.. I use those palettes that come in the pad for $3.. the wax paper sheet type..

BECCI- THIS IS THE BEST POST EVER!! DO YOU LOVE THAT YOU CAN MIX ANYTHING??? AWESOME!!!

Connie said...

Nice paints are so worth the extra mula!!! And once you get the hang of mixing...you'll find that making your own colors can be more accurate to your liking then just squeezing them from a tube!!

This is a great post...heck, you have a great blog altogether!! Looks like creativity is just oozing through your life!! I love that--totally love that!!

Thanks for stopping by Dirty Footprints Studio..I wish you lived closer--I desperately need a great haircut-and any hairdresser that declares herself an Artist also is definitely on my A-list!!

Peace & Love.

Connie said...

PS I have two pallets that I use---one is just a ceramic dish I purchased from the thrift store for less then a dollar--and the other is just a plastic rectangular plate I found somewhere. No need to get fancy--be eco-conscious & thrifty is what I say--put the extra dinero towards juicy paints!!!

Peace & Love.

Anonymous said...

Lovin' the layers! So rich and textural!

I really like Golden, too. I go through jars and jars of their mediums. That color mixing chart is a treasure! I need to learn how to mix colors.

BTW, what's the news on the Anew? Any good? Do you recommend? Please forgive me if you already mentioned about it here and I missed it. I've been so bad with blogging these past months. I've been missing out on all kinds of fun stuff in blogland.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it wild the shape clouds can take? (or, ahem, UFO's can take, rather..hehehe). The sky phenomena continued to intrigue us here today - I posted a pic I took of a double rainbow from this evening!

Good to know about that Anew stuff! I'm gonna grab myself a bottle. I do believe my sister-in-law has an Avon contact.