Sunday, January 11, 2009

Secret #1 Acknowledeg Your Creative Self


I found a very clever short film on the power of validation:

I thought about the message of this little film all week long and am still thinking about it. It applies to so many areas of my life. How I treat my family, my clients and complete strangers I meet along my “to do list” trail during the day...my self. Validation was the message.
Wikipedia says:
Validation is the reciprocated communication of respect which communicates that the other's opinions are acknowledged, respected, heard, and (regardless whether or not the listener actually agrees with the content), they are being treated with genuine respect as a legitimate expression of their feelings, rather than marginalized or dismissed.
I liked this definition better than Webster’s. Everyone needs to feel validated, we just do! I know I do! It feels good to know that we are appreciated and recognized, acknowledged, respected and heard. I like the part about “regardless whether or not the listener agrees”! Geeze… I can’t tell you how many times someone “validated” something I made and my reply was “oh it was nothing” or worse yet ”well, it’s not that good, I made a few mistakes” and then I begin to point out the things I think I did wrong! I UN-validate myself way too much!
Which leads to this first chapter in my newly found blog book club called:

“The Next Chapter”

The book we will be following is called:


The first chapter is Secret #1 Acknowledge Your Creative Self.
Dearest Becci,
You are so creative! You have a way of making such beautiful art. You are creative, you are awesome, you are fantastic, you are powerful! I see you as the artist that you really are. You have learned and perfected so many amazing abilities and creative techniques with your art and your hairdressing. You have had so much life experience and have contributed immensely to the happiness of others through sharing your creative self!
I acknowledge you and I validate what you do and who you are. Thank you for being the creative self that you are!
Love, Becci
----------------------------------------------------
Becci,
You are so welcome and thank you!
Love and have a great hair day! Becci :-)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your acknowledgement. It makes me happy and bubbly. Eye got a crush on you!

Have a very happy hair day.

Lisa said...

I like the self portrait, the letter to yourself, the thing on your sidebar about finding out there was no box, and the pic of you doing hair in the 30s (hysterical!) This is going to be a fun ride with the 12 secrets.

How I wish I could have a happy hair day! I haven't had one since the mid nineties. You have one for both of us :)

Miss Kim said...

What a great idea- writing that beautiful letter to yourself!

Zorana said...

Happy hair day! Love that!
I don't have your email, so I have to respond here. I live in SF Bay Area and I know I'm on the list, but I will not be teaching this year (couldn't find the time to prepare for it). Thanks for dropping by!

claireylove said...

Thanks for the video link ~ it was great fun! Great letter to yourself too, and I wish you all the best over the next 12 Secret weeks :-)

Bright Blessings, BB x

P.S. Thank you for your kind comment at my blog ~ just to let you know it really brightened my day. I feel validated ;-)

Anonymous said...

I love your letter to yourself! What a great idea. And your quote at the top of your blog, about there not being a box - it's a keeper.

Lisa PN said...

I love the letter to yourself. yummy! i think that i might go and write one right now!

Jamie Ridler said...

I am so with you on validation! It's one of the reasons I think finding your blog tribe is so powerful. We can find others who read our posts and see us. We read there's and get them. It's a precious thing.

And I love your approach to acknowledging your creative self. What a love letter!

Serena Lewis said...

OMG, I un-validate myself way too much too but I'm also trying to be better. I loved your letter to yourself...very powerful.

Thanks for your comment on my blog. :)