Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Great Intentions...Mission Acomplished!

Crusade #18 - carving my very own rubber stamp.


First I picked out a few pictures I liked then scanned them into my computer. I changed the sizes, desaturated and adjusted the contrast to a very black and white image. Then I printed them so I could take them to the grocery store to copy them again on the copier with a toner type ink. Toner ink will transfer better than ink jet printer ink...So after doing all the adjusting to my picture on my computer with ease you'd think the copier at the grocery store would have been easy-peasy! NO! I screwed around with that stupid thing for 20 minutes just to get 1 copy! 1 copy is 10cents but I spent 60cents before I got it done! I don't think I've used a copier like that for years! Ever since I got my home computer I don't need to get copies done at the store... On the other hand do you think there was anyone who worked there who knew how to operate it either? NO! geezzz.... :-)
Then...
I was going to use Michelle's suggestion of Goof-Off to do my image transfers to the carving rubber. I got home from the grocery store positive I had some of the stuff...No I didn't! It was pouring rain and the temperature was sitting at 34degrees Burrr! I was dreading going back out to get Goof-Off. My son Brian saved the day "Hey Mom, just use wintergreen oil to do the same thing." Well, I was somewhat stunned and said something sorta snippy like "oh sure, like every ones cabinet had wintergreen oil in it"! His reply..."I have some in my bathroom cabinet down stairs you can use." Well, sure enough he did! And no I didn't ask why and I don't think I want to know! HA! :-) . Really he is quite the artist himself and he must have done a transfer at one time for one of his projects. Neat guy! I did this out side real fast so I didn't freeze and stink up the house with the oil. Wintergreen is a good smell but I tell you what, that oil was extremely strong smelling!


Next... after great success transferring the images to the carving rubber, I began to carve. I am really liking this project, thanks Michelle! It really is super easy and is fast to get something carved and ready to use in a very short amount of time...I'm pleasantly surprised!
Carving in progress...
Up in the top right corner are a couple of fairies I made with pipe cleaners, embroidery floss, and torn up silk flowers. I can't remember the name of the book I got the idea from sorry... Anyway I enlarged them below to share with you all...The horses are great aren't they!

The eyes turned out really good and yep they are my eyes...


I tired out my eye stamp to see how it worked or if I'd done all that only to have it be a flop!
Nope it works really really Great! YES!
I scanned a piece of 50's fabric and printed that
to try my stamp on.

Have a great hair day! Becci

14 comments:

michelle ward said...

Becci - mission accomplished indeed! After all the hassle LOOK at your own tools! Fabulous! Love clicking on the photo that shows the checkerboard patterned one and that kitty is going to be great! Fun to see your work in progress AND the stamped out eyes. I forgot about Wintergreen Oil - does your house smell like BenGay? I know there is a spray that works too, maybe Citrisolve? Don't quote me. Anyway - cool that your son had the W.O. on hand, and bravo on the stamps - thanks for sharing with the team.

Anonymous said...

Hi Becci,
what a MARVELOUS stamp you made!! And so GREAR to read about & SEE the work in progress (specially liked the conversation with your son, what s wise guy! I have daugthers, but they can surprise me with smart gestures too). Thanx for sharing,
Hedwig
(who does have a BAD hairday today: it is snowing and raining here in Holland, my har does NOT like it)

Jane B. said...

Great stamp! You were very brave to go with something as complex as eyes for the first stamp. Also, where did you get the great horses from? I didn't recognize them as Breyers and they had silvery horseshoes - did you sculpt them yourself or are they remade from other models? I was just wondering as I used to collect Breyers. Thank you for sharing your art!

Pocket Size said...

What fabulous eyes! And yay for an alternative to Goof-Off! I generally use pencil to transfer mine, cos I only have inkjet printers at home. Anyway, great stamps, and those fairies are very pretty!

Anonymous said...

What a great stamp!! And thanks for refreshing the idea of scanning in fabric- fantastic!

Maj said...

Oh! What a great stamp! And a beautiful page you have made with it!

mcdc3s said...

WOW - what a great stamp. Love those eyes... How unique.

Ursula Clamer said...

WOW! Those eyes are really awesome. You have done a wonderful jog carving them....well worth the trouble. I love eye stamps but having your own eyes as a stamp is even better!

Roberta said...

Wow, what a great eyes! I just love them, I have to try something like that, too... they really look wonderful. Nice blog, too!

Regards,
Roberta

Chris said...

Holy Cornea, Batwoman!
Those stamps are fab! And wintergreen oil?! What kind of thing is he doing up there?
I could never be a parent...

This process was entertaining and fascinating. I laughed about your copying process! Thanks for sharing.

Elizabeth said...

Becci!
Amazing stamps!! i lvoe your idea of scanning in the old fabric!! You should be thrilled with that stamp !! Youa re awesome!!
Hugs!
Elizabeth

Kim Tedrow said...

What a cool stamp! And I loved reading about your process. Thank you! -Kim

Anonymous said...

Becci...awesome stamp. And like others, I also love to see the work in progress. Thanks for showing that :)

carin.c said...

Funny that we have so much trouble using the machines that were so simple back in the day before we got caught up in more complex processes such as scanning and photoshop, right? It's SO cool that you made a stamp of your own eyes!! The other stamps look like they will turn out great as well! Lucky you have such a resourceful son!