Saturday, December 03, 2011

Red Velvet Cookies



 Originally from Corina Nelson

INGREDIENTS: 
- 1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix (Becci’s notes will be in blue: I like "Moist Deluxe")
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup of oil
For FROSTING:
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup room temperature butter
- 1 tsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
This is so easy… seriously!  First preheat your oven to 375 degrees!
1.  Grab the cake mix, eggs, and oil.  Add them all to your bowl/stand mixer and beat until combined.  IF you want, you can sift the cake mix to make sure you don’t get any mix lumps! (I sifted and was not sorry for taking the extra time).
 2. Using a scoop (my scoop gives about 1 tablespoon or so), start dividing up your cookies.  Scoop and roll in the palms of your hands to shape and smooth.  (Although the dough isn’t as sticky as I thought it would be I still I smeared a touch of cooking oil in my tablespoon measuring spoon and kept my hands a little oiled to keep the stickiness under control better.)
3.  Place each one on a baking sheet.  (The original recipe didn’t say if it was on a greased or ungreased cookie sheet so I used parchment paper).
 4. Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  I like my cookies slightly under done so I take them out at 9 minutes, no more, no less! (My oven was perfect at the full 10 minutes). It's actually pretty easy to tell when these guys are close to done since the tops of them WILL crack, some more than others!
 5.  Let them cool slightly on a wire rack and in the meantime, make your frosting!  You could totally cheat here and use a tub of pre made stuff too... I promise, I won't tell :) (Next time I’ll use the boxed mix but I’m going to use Grandma Jeanne’s frosting which I’ll add the recipe at the end here).
6.  Cream butter and cream cheese together until light and fluffy and combined.  Add vanilla and cream.  Then slowly add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. (I just used a good ole fashion spoon to mix this).
 7.  Ok set that aside for a minute... now it's time to make your cut outs!  You could really use any cookie cutter, but try and find ones that are less than 3/4" or so!  I chose hearts because, well, it just goes with the red cookies :)  I got these at Michael's, right in the baking/cake decorating aisle! (I used a washed and dried hair spray lid to make circles!)
8.  Divide cookies up into pairs.  They should all be similar in size if you used a scoop or spoon to measure, but the oven may have made them a little "off"!  I think I got 24 cookies, so I got to make 12 sandwiches!  Take the "tops" of each cookie and cut out away!
9.  OK back to doing something productive right?  Grab the other "half" of your cookie sandwich and turn it over.  This should be a more flat surface!  Grab some of your frosting and plop it right down in the center.  Smooth it out towards the edges slightly.  Not too far out though since once you place the top on it will spread even more.
10.  Grab the tops of your cookie and place it right on top!


Share them with someone you adore and love.... 


No comments: